Frankfurt Motor Show 2017 : BMW M5
BMW premiered the 2018 M5 at the Frankfurt Motor Show. Powered by a 600PS twin-turbocharged 4.4-litre V8 and features four-wheel drive as standard.
Prices for the sixth-generation BMW M5 will start in the region of £90,000 when it reaches the UK in February 2018
- A reworked 4.4-litre V8 twin-turbo petrol engine
- 750Nm of torque from just 1800rpm – 70Nm increase over the previous M5.
- The all-wheel drive system - called M xDrive - has been designed to mimic the handling characteristics of a rear-wheel drive car. This means it should only engage the front wheels when those at the rear have reached their limits. Grip levels should be high, given that the new M5 will feature a new active diff to distribute its 600PS between the rear wheels.
- A fully configurable four-wheel drive system allowing the drivetrain to be set up for rear-wheel drive only, this means purists can get the full fat M5 experience on the track for drifting.
- 0 to 62mph in just 3.4 seconds,
- 0-124mph in only 11.1 seconds.
- Official fuel economy is expected to be in the mid-20s.
- A new eight-speed M Steptronic transmission, which will allow automatic shifting in “D” mode and sequential switching in “S” mode. This is possible both with the new short gear selection switch on the centre console as well as via M-shift paddles on the steering wheel.
- The engine characteristics can be tailored - with Efficient, Sport and Sport Plus.
- The suspension can be softened or sharpened to match the driver's mood or track time.
- The exhaust note is also flap-controlled and noise can also be muted at the touch of a button.
- Space for five adults
- 530-litres of boot space with the rear seats in place.
- BMW's latest Professional Multimedia system, with a 10-inch colour screen, navigation, media player and rear-view camera fitted as standard.
- Especially developed tyres 275/435 R20s at the front and 285/30 R20s at the rear.
- Light-metal cast Double-spoke bicolour wheels.